The most dangerous thing most people do every day is drive to work or run errands using their vehicle. That’s because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported in 2020 that nearly 2.3 million Americans were injured in car crashes.
Even vigilant motorists can do only so much to avoid injuries caused by another driver’s negligence. For instance, a distracted driver could cause a rear-end collision while you are stopped at a red light. If you were injured in an accident due to negligence, a Norfolk personal injury lawyer is ready to provide legal advice and fight for a fair settlement for your injuries. Call the car accident lawyer offices in Norfolk, VA, today.
Common Norfolk, VA, Car Accident Injuries
Negligent driving can result in multiple car collision types leading to severe injuries and even wrongful death. It is not uncommon to see neck and back injuries, slipped discs, and spinal trauma; however, other common car accident injuries can occur, including:
- Burns and bruising from airbag deployment
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Cuts from broken glass and sharp metal edges
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Knee and joint damage
- Internal bleeding
- Torn ligaments
- Neck injuries
Hopefully, a full recovery can be achieved with surgery followed by physical therapy and rehabilitation. Though sometimes amputation becomes necessary, or other permanent disfigurement results.
Following a traffic accident, seek medical care immediately. Your injuries could worsen, and some, like TBIs or internal bleeding, could become fatal or severely debilitating without treatment.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Norfolk, call 757-648-8579
An Experienced Car Accident Attorney Who Understands Insurance Companies
In certain cases, motor vehicle accident victims suffer brain damage or other neurological injuries, requiring a lifetime of care.
With 15 years of experience as a licensed attorney, I know how to seek maximum compensation for accident victims. I spent years defending insurance companies and insurance adjusters that write policies for negligent drivers. As a result, I understand how these companies operate, and I recognize their deceitful tactics.
As an experienced personal injury attorney and the founder of Atkinson Law firm, I will fight for compensatory damages to cover your medical costs and daily expenses. In addition, I have a proven track record of obtaining justice for people injured by distracted or drunk drivers.
Norfolk Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Negligence Elements That Must Be Present in a Crash Case
As a Norfolk auto accident attorney, I must demonstrate the following four elements of negligence to prove your injury accident claim:
- Duty of care: I must first prove the negligent party owed you a duty of care. This means the driver or at-fault party should have acted reasonably and tried to avoid actions that would cause harm to others.
- Breach: This means the negligent party breached their duty of care. Driving irresponsibly, drunk driving, aggressive driving, or failing to follow traffic rules are ways at-fault drivers can breach their duty of care.
- Causation: I’ll work to prove that the other driver directly caused your injuries by breaching their duty of care. I can do this by using evidence showing you wouldn’t have been hurt but for their negligent actions.
- Damages: The final element your claim must show is that you suffered financial and non-financial losses due to your crash injuries. For example, I can show this by producing medical records and other evidence to the insurance company demonstrating how the crash adversely affected your life.
If these elements are present, you could be eligible to file a personal injury claim.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Virginia Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Claim
According to the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, you have a two-year time limit to file your personal injury claim. The same time restriction applies for a wrongful death claim filed after a fatal accident.
Once we meet, I will analyze your case and determine how long you have to file your claim. For example, if you were involved in a bad accident needing additional investigation, you might have more time to file. On the other hand, other circumstances may lead to a shorter filing period.
I recommend filing your personal injury claim as soon as possible to give your attorney time to prepare your case. At Atkinson Law, I follow the saying, “overkill is still a kill.” In other words, I would rather be too prepared and have too much evidence than be even slightly underprepared.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Recover After a Norfolk Car Accident
Recovering damages following your car crash can help you cover your costs. I am committed to helping you recover the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Property damage: This is one of the most common components of a car accident case. It can include damage to your car, property inside your car (such as electronics or personal belongings), or even other people’s property damaged in the crash.
- Medical bills: If you were injured in a car accident in Norfolk, VA, you might be facing higher-than-usual medical bills. It’s important to understand your rights and your options after an accident.
- Lost wages: One of the most difficult aspects of your recovery can be dealing with lost wages. Not only could you be unable to work due to your injuries, but you are also now facing medical bills and other expenses that your job would normally cover.
- Loss of employment: Losing your job due to a car accident can be financially and emotionally devastating. If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages.
- Physical therapy: Massage therapy, hydrotherapy, and strengthening exercises are physical therapy treatments that can cost a lot, especially if your injuries are severe. However, they may be necessary to help you restore mobility and reduce pain.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering are non-economic damages that may include physical pain, emotional distress, mental anguish, permanent disability or disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life. In many cases, the physical pain caused by a car accident can be treated with expensive medical treatment or therapy. However, the emotional distress accompanying an injury can be much more difficult to treat.
Depending on the details of your car accident, you may be eligible for additional compensation for damages beyond what is typically provided in a settlement. For example, if the other driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident, you might also be able to pursue punitive damages.
I can help protect your rights and will seek to ensure that the other driver and their insurance company rights the injustice that has happened to you.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligent driving, I understand this is an incredibly difficult time for you and your family. While nothing can truly make up for this loss of life, seeking legal counsel and understanding your rights in pursuing compensation for wrongful death damages is important.
As your attorney, I am committed to providing compassionate support and guidance as we work together to seek justice on behalf of your loved one. We will explore all avenues for compensation, including damages for medical expenses, loss of support, loss of consortium, funeral and burial expenses, loss of income, and pain and suffering.
Please know that as your Norfolk personal injury lawyer, I am here to help you navigate the legal system and will provide the support and guidance you need to move forward. My goal is to help you obtain the closure and compensation you deserve so that you can focus on healing and honoring the memory of your loved one.
Contact Atkinson Law for a Free, No-Risk Consultation
I started Atkinson Law because I knew I could provide better service to clients and build a new kind of law firm. One that provides best-in-class service customized to your needs.
I will help you through the legal process, fight for a fair settlement, and represent your case in court if necessary. I am here as your legal advocate to help you reclaim your life and hold the at-fault driver responsible.
In addition, I work on a contingency basis and will gladly travel to meet with you for your free consultation. So please, call or contact me today by completing my brief online form.