Car accidents are common in Newport News and can have devastating consequences for all involved. If someone else caused you to be injured in a crash, you deserve financial compensation. I’m Ed Atkinson, and as an experienced Newport News car accident lawyer, I can build a case that insurance companies can’t ignore.
Unlike many other attorneys in our area, I will personally speak with you for your free consultation. If you are too injured to drive to my office, I can visit you in the hospital or in the comfort of your own home. I also offer telephone and Internet consultations.
When you need a personal injury lawyer in Newport News, trust Atkinson Law.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can lead to serious injuries, and certain conditions could worsen if left untreated. It’s important to seek medical attention promptly after a crash.
Common car accident injuries include:
- Soft tissue injuries: Whiplash and other soft tissue injuries can be painful and debilitating. They often require medical treatment and plenty of rest.
- Broken bones: After sustaining a break or fracture, an accident victim may require surgery and physical therapy to regain full range of motion.
- Airbag injuries: While typically not serious, bruising from the airbag can be painful and may take a long time to heal.
- Cuts and abrasions: Depending on their severity, these injuries may require stitches and could become infected or result in permanent scarring.
- Internal injuries: Internal bleeding or organ damage can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
- Severe burns: Extensive burns may necessitate skin grafts and leave lasting scars and self-image issues.
- Spinal cord damage: Injuries to the spinal cord can cause varying degrees of paralysis and loss of sensation.
- Head trauma: Traumatic brain injuries are common in car accidents and might affect a person both physically and mentally. These effects could be permanent.
While many accident victims recover fully with proper medical care and therapy, others are left with permanent scars or disabilities. Getting the medical treatment and financial compensation you need will help ensure the best possible outcome.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Newport News, call 757-648-8579
Dealing with Insurance Companies After a Crash
When you receive a call from an insurance representative, remember that they don’t have your best interests at heart. Although a claims adjuster may come across as friendly, their goal is often to get you to say something to weaken your case. They may offer a settlement that’s far below what you deserve, hoping you’ll accept it before talking to a lawyer.
When you choose me to represent you, I’ll handle all interactions with the insurance companies and work to secure a fair settlement on your behalf. If negotiations are unsuccessful, I will help you file a personal injury lawsuit and fight for you in court.
I started Atkinson Law because I knew I could provide best-in-class, personalized legal representation to people in the Hampton Roads area. Unlike other attorneys who might not even meet with you until your court date, I will remain personally involved in your case through every stage.
Newport News Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Damages I Could Help You Recover as Your Newport News Car Accident Lawyer
Medical bills and car repairs are expensive, and if you miss work because of your injuries, you could lose even more money. Fortunately, you have options for recovering compensation. If your accident was the result of another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to a wide range of damages.
As your Newport News car accident attorney, I could help you pursue money for:
- Medical expenses: This category includes all of your medical bills for emergency care, surgeries, medications, therapy, and any necessary ongoing treatments.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or personal belongings were damaged in the crash, your claim will include repair or replacement costs.
- Pain and suffering: This includes compensation for both the physical and emotional distress you experienced due to the accident.
- Lost wages: This category includes the money you have already lost from missed work days plus future earnings you will miss out on while you are recovering from your injuries.
- Loss of future earning potential: If you can no longer work due to your injuries, you deserve compensation for this loss.
Depending on the facts of your accident, you might also be eligible for punitive damages. These additional damages are typically available in cases involving drunk driving. As your attorney, I will leave no stone unturned when pursuing compensation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Time Limit for Taking Legal Action in a Newport News Personal Injury Case
After a car accident in Newport News, VA, you have a limited amount of time to seek justice through the court system. As outlined in the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, you have two years to file a civil lawsuit.
In most cases, you must file within two years of the accident date or lose your right to seek compensation. Certain circumstances may extend this deadline. One common exception involves injured minors.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Consultation With a Car Accident Lawyer Serving Newport News
If you or a loved one was injured in a collision that wasn’t your fault, I want to hear your story. During our initial conversation, I’ll explain your legal options and advise you of your next steps. If we choose to move forward, I’ll build a solid case that shows how the accident has affected your life.
I understand that you may be facing a long and painful recovery process, and my job is to lighten some of that burden by getting you a fair settlement or court award. Since I handle cases on a contingency fee basis, you’ll pay nothing upfront or out of pocket. I only get paid when we win.
Contact Atkinson Law to schedule your free, zero-risk case evaluation.