Losing a family member for any reason is devastating. However, it can be even more difficult to accept when someone else’s negligence was the cause of your loved one’s death. I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Newport News wrongful death lawyer, I am committed to helping families who have lost loved ones in this way.
If someone close to you passed away recently, I extend my deepest condolences. Please know that I am here for you during this difficult time. As a Newport News personal injury lawyer who handles wrongful death claims, I can work to recover the financial compensation you deserve while you grieve and honor your loved one’s memory.
Contact Atkinson Law today to schedule a free, zero-risk consultation.
Wrongful Death Defined
In Virginia, a death is considered wrongful when someone dies due to the “wrongful act, neglect, or default” of another party. Simply put, this means that if an accident victim would have been eligible for a personal injury claim if they had survived, then the family may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf.
Navigating the legal system in a wrongful death case can be complicated, which is why working with a qualified attorney is vital. As a seasoned personal injury lawyer serving the Hampton Roads area, I am well-versed in Virginia’s wrongful death laws and can guide you through the legal process.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Newport News, call 757-648-8579
Examples of Wrongful Death Cases in Newport News, VA
Over the past 15 years, I have handled cases involving a wide range of accidents. Examples of incidents that often lead to wrongful death claims include:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents: When a driver’s carelessness or recklessness causes a fatal crash
- Boating accidents: When negligence causes a fatal accident on the water
- Product liability: When a defective product leads to the death of a consumer
These are just a few examples of the kinds of wrongful death claims that can arise in our state. Any time someone’s recklessness, carelessness, or misconduct results in the death of another person, there may be grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit.
Newport News Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Pursuing Justice After Losing a Loved One
While no amount of money can undo what happened, recovering financial compensation may provide a sense of justice and the closure you need to move forward. As your Newport News wrongful death lawyer, I can help you seek compensation for various losses associated with losing a loved one.
Every case is different, but here are some examples of damages I could help you recover:
- Burial and funeral costs: These final expenses can add up quickly. Obtaining compensation allows you to say your final goodbye in a way that respects your loved one’s wishes.
- Loss of income: This compensation aims to help cover the income your loved one would have contributed to your household if they had lived.
- Loss of companionship: This damage category acknowledges the emotional toll associated with losing a loved one. It also seeks to address the loss of the support, guidance, and companionship your loved one used to provide.
- Medical costs: If your loved one incurred medical bills due to the accident, you could pursue reimbursement for those expenses.
- Pain and suffering: This damage addresses the mental anguish and sadness you experience due to your loved one’s passing.
- Punitive damages: Also known as exemplary damages, punitive damages punish the at-fault party and serve to discourage others from engaging in similar behavior. We might pursue punitive damages, for instance, if a drunk driver caused your loved one’s death.
Keep in mind that the damages you can recover will depend on the specific circumstances of your loved one’s death. I can evaluate your case and let you know which damages might be available to you. We can meet at one of my offices or in the comfort of your home. I also offer Internet and phone consultations.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Who Can Legally File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
The Code of Virginia § 8.01-53 outlines who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in our state. In a nutshell, the statute states that the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate can pursue a civil suit on behalf of the decedent’s surviving family members, including the following:
- The spouse, children, or grandchildren of the deceased
- A relative who lived in the same household as the deceased and depended on them for support (if there is no surviving spouse, children, or grandchildren).
Often, multiple beneficiaries, such as the deceased person’s children, will share the compensation equally. However, when deciding how to distribute the money, Virginia courts will consider factors such as each person’s relationship with the deceased and their respective financial situations.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Consultation With a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Newport News
If you recently lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence, you don’t have to face the resulting legal battles alone. As a Newport News wrongful death lawyer, I can answer any questions you have and provide the representation you need to get justice for your loved one. I handle cases on contingency, which means you won’t pay anything unless we win.
When you trust Atkinson Law with your case, you will never be treated like your loved one’s death is just another insurance claim or lawsuit. We realize this may be the hardest time of your life, and our hearts go out to you. Unlike many other lawyers, I will speak with you personally and stay involved through every stage of your case.
Find out how I can help you by scheduling a free, zero-risk consultation.