The consequences can be devastating when you are injured due to someone else’s negligence or intentional acts. You may be dealing with physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial stress. I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Hampton personal injury lawyer, I understand the challenges injured victims face.
At Atkinson Law, I provide compassionate and effective legal representation to clients hurt in a wide range of incidents. So whether you’ve been harmed in a car accident, medical malpractice, or another way, I will help you get the compensation you deserve.
I handle cases on contingency, so you don’t have to pay out of pocket. So call me today for a risk-free consultation with a seasoned Virginia personal injury lawyer.
Receive Personalized Legal Attention from Hampton, VA’s Atkinson Law
I understand every personal injury lawsuit or claim is unique; therefore, I provide customized legal representation tailored to your situation, goals, and preferences.
That means your case will get my personal attention. Unlike mega law firms, you won’t get the runaround from different secretaries, investigators or lawyers who forget who you are, what you called about, or what your case is about.
When I meet with you, I will personally and carefully evaluate your case, identify the at-fault party, provide legal advice, and help you determine the best course of action for your circumstances.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Hampton, call 757-648-8579
Cases I Handle as a Hampton Personal Injury Lawyer
As a personal injury attorney in Hampton, VA, I represent clients in various cases involving personal injury and wrongful death.
My practice areas include:
- Car Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents can result in serious injuries and damages. I can help you win compensation in cases related to car accidents, including those involving drunk or distracted driving or hit-and-run drivers.
- Truck Accidents: With the high volume of commercial trucks on the roads around Hampton, accidents involving these vehicles are unfortunately common. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, I can help you pursue a claim against the responsible party.
- Motorcycle and scooter accidents: Motorcycles and scooters are a popular mode of transportation in Hampton, but accidents involving these vehicles can result in serious injuries. I can help you navigate the legal process and obtain a fair settlement.
- Dog bites: Dog attacks can cause serious physical and emotional harm and can be especially traumatic for children. If a dog has bitten you or a loved one, I can help you recover compensation.
- Maritime and boating accidents: Hampton, VA, is located near a bustling port, and with that comes an increase in maritime and boating accidents. I can help you with cases related to commercial and recreational boating accidents and various maritime injuries.
- Medical malpractice: Medical professionals must provide competent and ethical patient care. When they fail to meet this standard, the consequences can be disastrous. I can help you get justice in cases related to medical malpractice, including misdiagnosis and surgical errors.
- Nursing home neglect: When we entrust our loved ones to nursing homes and other care facilities, we expect them to receive proper care and attention. Unfortunately, nursing home neglect is a growing problem. I can help you hold the negligent facility or other liable parties accountable.
- Wrongful death: Losing a loved one is never easy, but it can be especially painful when it involves negligence. I can help you seek justice for your loved one.
Hampton Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Available Damages in a Personal Injury Case
If someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, you have the legal right to seek damages. These damages will vary from case to case but might include the following:
Economic damages refer to the monetary losses you have suffered or will suffer due to your injury. These damages are meant to compensate you for actual financial losses and expenses.
Economic damages may include:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, doctor’s fees, and medication costs.
- Lost wages or income due to the injury, including both past and future lost earnings.
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged vehicle or other personal property.
- Other out-of-pocket expenses stemming from the incident, such as transportation costs or home modifications.
Non-economic damages refer to the intangible losses you have suffered or will suffer due to your injury.
Non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering, including physical and emotional pain, discomfort, and inconvenience.
- Emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Loss of enjoyment of life, including the inability to engage in hobbies and activities you previously enjoyed.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Establishing Negligence in a Personal Injury Case
Proving negligence is a crucial aspect of any personal injury claim in Virginia. That’s because it establishes the at-fault party’s responsibility for your accident-related injuries and damages.
Establishing negligence requires demonstrating that the other party breached their duty of care and that this breach directly caused your injuries and losses.
To prove negligence in your case, I must establish the following elements on your behalf:
|Duty of care||The plaintiff (you) must show that the defendant (the insurance company or other at-fault party) owed you a duty of care.||All drivers must follow traffic laws and obey stop signs and traffic lights..|
|Breach of duty||The plaintiff must prove that the defendant breached their duty of care.||This can be demonstrated by showing that the defendant violated a traffic law or acted negligently under the circumstances.|
|Causation||The plaintiff must show that the defendant’s breach of duty caused the plaintiff’s injuries.||This means that the plaintiff’s injuries would not have occurred without the defendant’s actions.|
|Damages||The plaintiff must prove that they suffered damages due to the defendant’s actions (or inaction).||Damages include things like physical injuries, emotional distress, lost wages, and medical expenses.|
I can help you gather evidence, identify key witnesses, and build a strong case against the negligent party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Time Limit for Taking Legal Action
After an accident, you may wonder how long you have to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. According to the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, you must file your personal injury claim two years from the incident date. The deadline for filing a wrongful death claim is two years after your loved one’s death.
The circumstances of your case may shorten or extend the deadline, but I can tell you exactly how much time you have during your initial consultation.
Two years may seem like a long time, but I recommend taking action immediately. Contacting me soon after the accident will give me time to build your case by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and preparing for a possible trial.
For a Free Consultation, Contact Atkinson Law Today
If you or a loved one has been injured, don’t hesitate to reach out to Atkinson Law. Unlike larger law firms that treat your case like it’s on an assembly line, I take a personalized approach to each case.
I dedicate the time and attention required to thoroughly understand your unique circumstances and aggressively advocate for the best possible outcome in your personal injury claim.
As your legal counsel, I will investigate the incident, negotiate with insurance companies, and pursue full compensation for your injuries. Your job is to relax and focus on your recovery.
Contact me today for a free, no-obligation consultation.