A spinal cord injury is a life-altering condition. The consequences go far beyond physical pain, affecting every aspect of your life and the lives of your family members. When you’re facing the possibility of permanent paralysis or other complications, the impact on your life is significant and warrants compensation. A Hampton spinal cord injury lawyer is here to help.
If your injury resulted from another person’s negligence or reckless behavior, you deserve full compensation for your losses. However, this is not a battle you should undertake on your own. Allow me, Ed Atkinson, to stand by your side as your Hampton personal injury lawyer.
Contact Atkinson Law today to arrange a no-cost initial consultation.
Accidents that Can Cause Spinal Cord Injuries
The force of impact in various accidents can result in vertebral fractures, dislocations, or compression, directly harming the delicate spinal cord.
This trauma may disrupt the transmission of signals between the brain and the rest of the body. The consequences of this disruption can range from minor mobility issues to profound paralysis.
Examples of accidents that can lead to spinal cord injuries include the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Slip-and-fall incidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Horseback riding accidents
Regardless of where or how the injury happened, if it resulted from another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to substantial compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Hampton, call 757-648-8579
Compassionate Legal Representation for Your Spinal Cord Injury Case
The financial impact of a spinal cord injury reaches beyond immediate medical expenses. It encompasses the ongoing costs of rehabilitation, adaptive technologies, and the emotional toll of adjusting to a new reality. I am here to provide compassionate legal support during this trying time.
As a personal injury attorney who often represents people with debilitating injuries, I realize you are already dealing with a lot. Your physical condition should not hinder your access to quality legal representation.
Whether you’re still in the hospital or back at home, I will gladly travel to meet you and discuss your case in person. I also offer phone and internet consultations.
Hampton Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Compensable Damages in a Hampton Spinal Cord Injury Claim
When someone causes you harm, it’s important to understand the types of damages you can seek in a personal injury claim.
The specific damages can vary depending on the circumstances, but they may include the following:
Economic losses are the financial costs directly associated with the incident.
Examples of economic damages commonly sought in personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses: A catastrophic injury to the spinal cord will leave you with a growing stack of medical bills for hospitalization, surgeries, medications, and ongoing treatments. I will work to ensure that all your medical expenses are included in your claim.
- Lost wages: If your injuries lead to time away from work or an inability to return to your job, you may experience financial hardships. I will assess your lost wages and pursue compensation for the financial impact of your condition on your employment.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or personal belongings were damaged or destroyed in the accident, I will pursue compensation for the cost of repairing or replacing those items.
- Transportation expenses: Ongoing medical treatment may mean you need help with transportation to and from appointments. I can seek compensation for the associated costs.
- Funeral and burial expenses: If a loved one tragically loses their life due to an accident, I can assist you in pursuing a wrongful death claim. We can seek compensation for funeral and burial expenses, the loss of financial support, and the emotional toll of losing a loved one.
Non-economic damages are harder to quantify but may make up the largest part of your claim. These losses often encompass:
- Pain and suffering: This broad category addresses physical and emotional pain, discomfort, and inconvenience.
- Mental anguish: A subset of pain and suffering, this damage includes psychological conditions stemming from the accident, such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This damage pertains to the inability to engage in hobbies and social activities you once enjoyed.
My goal is to secure maximum compensation from the involved insurance company. If that doesn’t work, I will file a lawsuit and fight for justice in court.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Virginia Time Limit for Personal Injury Claims
After an extended hospital stay, you might wonder how much time you have left to take legal action. Under the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, the general timeframe for filing a civil lawsuit is two years from the date of your injury or the passing of your loved one.
Barring extenuating circumstances, like the victim being a minor, you must file before the deadline or lose your right to compensation.
While two years may seem like a long window of opportunity, time is of the essence. Taking immediate action will give me more time to strengthen your case through witness interviews, evidence gathering, and case preparation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Case Evaluation With a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Hampton
For residents of Hampton, VA, dealing with spinal cord damage, it’s essential to have a dedicated Hampton spinal cord injury lawyer by your side. Unlike other law firms that may pass your claim around to various non-attorney staff, I will personally oversee your case from beginning to end.
During our initial consultation, I’ll take the time to listen to your story and provide my honest assessment of your situation. Should we choose to proceed, I will seek the maximum compensation available in your case. Contact Atkinson Law today to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation.