Drunk driving is a serious concern in Newport News, VA, often resulting in severe injuries and fatalities. In the aftermath of a crash, survivors often face physical, emotional, and financial hardships. I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Newport News drunk driving accident lawyer, I understand the difficulties injured victims and their families endure.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a collision due to a drunk driver, taking immediate action can improve your chances of receiving a fair settlement or a favorable jury verdict. Retaining professional legal representation from a Newport News car accident lawyer like myself can be crucial to the outcome of your case.
Contact Atkinson Law today to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation.
I Will Handle the Insurance Companies for You
Part of my job as a Newport News personal injury lawyer is to handle insurance negotiations on behalf of my clients. It’s important to recognize that insurance adjusters, while claiming to want to assist you with accident-related expenses, are trying to minimize their financial liability by offering less money than you deserve. As a personal injury attorney with extensive experience with insurance companies, I know how to protect you from their deceptive tactics.
When you trust me with your case, I’ll manage all communications with the insurance companies and other involved parties, allowing you to concentrate on your physical and emotional well-being. Leveraging my 15 years of legal experience, I will build a strong case that seeks financial compensation for all you’ve endured.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving Newport News, call 757-648-8579
Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident
Recovering fair compensation after a drunk driving accident is important, considering the physical, emotional, and financial toll it often takes.
As a seasoned drunk driving accident lawyer in Newport News, I can assist you in pursuing multiple damages, including:
- Medical expenses: This category includes all of your medical costs, such as ambulance services, emergency medical treatment, surgeries, follow-up appointments, physical therapy, prescription medications, and other necessary care.
- Lost wages: If your injury caused you to miss work, this can also be factored into your compensation claim, ensuring you are reimbursed for the wages you couldn’t earn during your recovery.
- Pain and suffering: This broad category refers to the non-economic damages you suffered, including the inconveniences, physical pain, and mental anguish stemming from the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This damage addresses your inability to participate in activities you once enjoyed before the accident, which may include hobbies, social outings, or other enjoyable pursuits made difficult or impossible by the injuries you sustained in the crash.
- Wrongful Death: In the event of a fatal accident, certain surviving family members may be eligible for wrongful death damages. This compensation can cover reasonable funeral expenses, loss of income, and the emotional distress associated with losing a loved one.
When you reach out to Atkinson Law, I can let you know which damages may be available in your case.
Newport News Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Punitive Damages in Virginia
In Virginia drunk driving cases, the court often awards punitive damages in addition to the typical compensatory ones. These additional damages serve a specific purpose: to penalize the responsible party for their particularly reprehensible behavior in cases involving drunk driving accidents.
One situation that might qualify you for punitive damages is if the at-fault driver had a blood alcohol content (BAC) that registered 0.15% or higher or if they refused to undergo the test.
Even if the drunk driver’s BAC was below this threshold, I can still pursue a common law punitive damages claim against them. My team and I will leave no stone unturned when pursuing compensation in your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Time Is of the Essence After a Newport News Drunk Driving Accident
The Code of Virginia § 8.01-243 sets a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit after a drunk driving accident. It’s crucial to act quickly due to this statewide time limit. Waiting too long can also lead to evidence loss and difficulty locating witnesses.
My approach, based on 15 years of experience as a Newport News car accident lawyer, is to start early and build a solid case, ensuring we’re more than prepared for any situation. My mantra when compiling evidence is, “Overkill is still a kill.”
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Consultation Regarding Your Newport News Drunk Driving Accident Case
You shouldn’t have to pay for an accident someone else caused. As your Newport News drunk driving accident lawyer, I’m here to help you get the justice and financial compensation you deserve.
Let’s talk, either in person, over the phone, or online, during your free consultation. I will gladly travel to meet you in the hospital or in the comfort of your home.
Don’t settle with an insurance company for less than your case is worth. As an experienced trial lawyer, I am prepared to go the distance in your case. Remember, I only get paid when you do. Contact Atkinson Law today for a zero-risk consultation!