An accident can happen anytime, anywhere, but the impact can be devastating when it involves a child. Children are vulnerable and can’t always understand or avoid dangerous situations. Of course, you do your best to protect them from harm as their parent or guardian, but some things are out of your control.
A child’s injury can take a toll on the entire family emotionally and financially. While the insurance company may already be approaching you about a settlement, you have a right to an attorney and do not have to settle. I’m Ed Atkinson, ready to fight for the justice and compensation your child deserves.
Contact me, your Virginia personal injury lawyer, for a free, zero-risk consultation.
Child Injuries that Lead to Lawsuits
Accidents can occur in various settings, including at home, school, and public places. Some of the most common injuries leading to litigation include:
- Car accidents: Children risk sustaining traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), broken bones, and internal organ damage in motor vehicle accidents. This is especially true if the child was not properly restrained or a negligent driver caused the accident.
- Playground accidents: Playground equipment can be dangerous if it is not properly maintained or is designed in a way that puts children at risk of falling or becoming trapped.
- Swimming pool accidents: Children can drown or sustain other serious injuries in swimming pool accidents, especially if there is no lifeguard on duty or if the pool is not properly secured.
- Dog bites: Children are particularly vulnerable to dog bites and often suffer severe injuries and scarring, which can cause physical and emotional trauma.
- Sports injuries: Children who participate in sports risk head trauma, broken bones, and even spinal cord injuries if they are not properly supervised or if safety rules are not enforced.
If your child has been hurt due to someone else’s negligence, I can help you hold the responsible party accountable and get the compensation your child needs.
For a free legal consultation with a child injury lawyer serving Virginia, call 757-648-8579
How I Can Help As Your Virginia Child Injury Lawyer
As a Virginia child injury lawyer, I am dedicated to providing compassionate and effective legal representation to the families of injured children.
I can help by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation of the accident to determine liability and identify all responsible parties.
- Building a strong case to recover compensation for medical bills, future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf to make sure you receive a fair settlement or verdict.
- Fighting for you in court (if your case goes to trial).
- Providing support and guidance throughout the legal process.
I understand how difficult it can be to see your child suffer, and I am here to help ease your burden and fight for your family’s rights. With 95% of my practice dedicated to litigation, I’m a formidable opponent in the courtroom.
Virginia Child Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Why Choose Atkinson Law for Your Child’s Case?
At Atkinson Law, I understand the challenges that come with representing child injury cases.
I’ve obtained hundreds of court-approved settlements for infants, children, and their parents. I’ve achieved this success through my commitment to understanding my clients’ specific needs and long-term recovery prospects.
Assessing the Full Impact of Your Child’s Injury on Their Life
I will work closely with medical professionals to determine what it will take for your child’s condition to reach maximum medical improvement before discussing an exact settlement amount.
This approach ensures that the compensation sought accurately reflects the true extent of their injuries and future needs.
Maximum medical improvement is reached when your child’s condition is unlikely to further improve or their treatment plateaus during the healing process. By waiting for this point, I can better assess the full impact of the injury on your child’s life and pursue a settlement that truly addresses their needs.
Open Communication, Compassion, and Diligence
At Atkinson Law, I prioritize open communication, compassion, and diligence in handling child injury cases. My goal is to support and guide families during this challenging time while pursuing the best possible outcome for your child. With my experience and dedication, you can trust that your child’s case will be handled with care and professionalism.
I provide the opposite of that big-box store experience. Atkinson Law is not a warehouse or an assembly line. Instead, we are a local business that needs your patronage and seeks to win your trust at every step.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Available Damages After an Accident
When a child is injured due to someone else’s negligence, the responsible party should be held accountable for the damages that result from the incident. As a Virginia child injury attorney, I have extensive experience litigating this area of personal injury law.
Some of the damages that may be available in this kind of case include:
- Medical expenses: This can include both current and future medical costs, such as doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, counseling, medication, rehabilitation, and therapy.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical and emotional distress your child experiences due to the injury and includes compensation for any diminished quality of life resulting from the injury.
- Lost earning capacity: If a permanent injury prevents your child from earning a living in the future, they may be entitled to compensation for their lost earning capacity.
- Property damage: If an accident caused damage to your child’s personal property, such as clothing or a bicycle, compensation may be available to repair or replace the damaged items.
- Punitive damages: If the responsible party’s conduct was particularly egregious, the court may award punitive damages to punish the at-fault party and deter others from engaging in similar behavior. Drunk driving is a prime example of behavior that could result in punitive damages.
Please keep in mind that the above list is not exhaustive. Every case is unique, and the damages that may be available will depend on the specific circumstances of the incident.
As your personal injury lawyer, I will work tirelessly to ensure you receive fair compensation and justice for your child.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Child Injury Claim in Virginia
If your child was injured due to someone else’s negligence, it’s best to act quickly. According to the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years from the injury date.
However, when the injured party is a child, the statute of limitations is tolled, or delayed, until they turn 18. This means someone hurt as a child has until their 20th birthday to file a personal injury claim.
While this may seem like a long time, I recommend that you don’t wait. Evidence can become harder to collect, memories fade, and witnesses may be more challenging to locate as time passes. That’s why you should contact me as soon as possible after learning about your child’s injuries.
Contact Atkinson Law in Virginia for a Free Consultation
Insurance companies tend to fear claims involving minors since a jury might sympathize with them and award their families monetary damages. That’s why the insurance adjuster handling your claim will likely pressure you into accepting a quick settlement.
As a skilled lawyer, I will explain the extent of your damages so you don’t agree to an unfair settlement. During our meeting, we can discuss the specifics of your child’s injuries and losses. I will listen to your concerns and provide honest, straightforward legal advice.
Contact Atkinson Law today to schedule your free case evaluation.