A day of boating is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but unfortunately, an afternoon on the water can end in disaster. Boating mishaps can result in severe injuries, property damage, and even death. If you’ve been involved in a boat accident in Virginia, you need a qualified attorney to help you recover financial compensation.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Virginia boating accident lawyer, I have the knowledge and expertise to navigate the legal process and get you the settlement you need to move forward. In addition, if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, I could help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
Contact me today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
If you were injured in a boating accident, determining the accident’s cause is essential to establishing liability. Boating accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Boat operator error: This can include failing to maintain a proper lookout, driving at excessive speeds, and operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Operator inattention is another common problem.
- Operator inexperience: Operating a boat or personal watercraft requires skill and experience. Inexperienced operators may not understand the rules of the waterway, how to read the weather, or how to navigate around other vessels.
- Equipment failure: Boats can malfunction, just like any other machine. When safety equipment fails, it can put everyone on board in danger.
- Weather: Even experienced boaters can struggle to navigate through severe weather conditions. High winds, rough waters, and storms can make it difficult to keep a boat under control.
- Dangerous waters: Boating accidents can also be caused by hazards in the water, such as rocks, logs, and sandbars. Poorly marked or maintained channels can also lead to disaster.
If you have been involved in a boating accident, it’s important to determine the cause to establish liability in your case. That’s where it pays to have a qualified boat accident lawyer on your side.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Virginia, call 757-648-8579
Legal Options After a Virginia Boat Accident
After a boating accident in Virginia, you may wonder about your legal options. Depending on the circumstances of the incident, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries, lost wages, medical bills, and other damages.
Personal Injury Claim
One option is to file a personal injury claim against the negligent party. This could be an individual operating the boat, the boat owner, or even the manufacturer if a mechanical issue contributed to the accident.
To file a successful personal injury claim, you must prove that the other party was negligent or acted recklessly and that this negligence or recklessness directly caused your injuries.
In most cases, your claim will involve the at-fault party’s insurance company. I spent years representing insurance companies, so I understand their negotiation tactics and how to counter them.
If you lost a loved one in a fatal boating accident, I am deeply sorry. In Virginia, surviving family members may be entitled to compensation for damages such as funeral expenses, loss of income, and loss of companionship.
I could help you file a wrongful death claim if you lost a family member in a fatal accident.
Most personal injury cases settle out of court. However, if we cannot reach a fair settlement through negotiations, the next step is to file a lawsuit.
It’s important to note that Virginia law sets forth a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits, including those stemming from boating incidents. Therefore, you must file your claim before the deadline, or you may be barred from pursuing compensation.
Personal injury lawsuits can be complicated, but you don’t have to face this alone. As an experienced Virginia boat accident lawyer, I can help you file the necessary paperwork and fight for justice in court.
Virginia Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Available Compensation in a Virginia Boating Accident
Boat accident victims may be left with physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial burdens.
The Following Table Outlines the Damages that May Be Available to You After a Virginia Boating Accident:
|Damages Available in Boating Accident Claims||Explanation||Examples|
|Medical expenses||This includes the costs of medical treatment related to the accident, such as hospital stays, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and therapy.||Hospital bills, prescription medication costs, physical therapy bills|
|Lost income||If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. This includes both past and future lost earnings.||Pay stubs, income tax returns, employment records|
|Property damage||If your boat or other property was damaged in the accident, you can seek compensation for the cost of repair or replacement.||Boat repair bills, replacement costs for damaged personal property|
|Pain and suffering||Boating accidents can cause physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological trauma. Compensation for pain and suffering may be available to help you recover from these non-economic losses.||Loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, mental anguish|
|Disfigurement and scarring||If the accident causes permanent scarring or disfigurement, the victim may be entitled to compensation for the physical and emotional effects of the injury.||Physical disfigurement, emotional trauma|
|Punitive damages||In cases where the at-fault party’s behavior was particularly egregious or reckless, punitive damages may be available to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar behavior in the future.||Drunk boating, reckless vessel operation|
It’s important to note that these damages are not exhaustive, and the specific circumstances of each case can impact the available damages.
Therefore, it’s crucial to consult with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer like me to determine the full scope of damages in your case. Then, I will evaluate your case and help you get the maximum compensation available.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How a Lawyer Can Help After a Boating Incident
The legal process after a boating mishap can be overwhelming. That’s where I come in as your Virginia boat accident lawyer.
Here are some of the ways I can help:
- Investigating the accident: I will thoroughly investigate the incident to determine its cause and identify the liable parties. This includes reviewing law enforcement reports, interviewing witnesses, and examining physical evidence.
- Handling insurance companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and time-consuming. I will handle all communication with insurance adjusters, negotiate on your behalf, and work to ensure that you receive fair compensation.
- Calculating damages: As an experienced personal injury attorney, I know how to accurately calculate the damages you are entitled to, including pain and suffering.
- Filing a lawsuit: If necessary, I will file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court. I have extensive trial experience and am dedicated to fighting for your rights.
If you have been involved in a recreational boating accident, please get in touch with me for a free consultation. I am committed to helping boat accident victims get the compensation they deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Virginia Boat Accident Lawyer, Ed Atkinson
I started Atkinson Law because I knew I could provide a higher level of service than firms that treat injured victims like numbers. There’s a reason my law firm consistently gets five-star reviews on Google. I work hard to achieve the best possible outcome in every case I handle.
As your Virginia boating accident attorney, I’ll use my deep knowledge of boating law to fight for a favorable settlement or court award. Remember: waiting to take legal action is never a good idea. The sooner you contact me, the sooner I can start building your case.
Call me today or complete the brief contact form to schedule a free case evaluation.