If your loved one was killed due to negligence, the last thing you may be thinking about is the legal landscape of pursuing financial compensation. Your emotional pain, funeral planning, and family concerns demand your immediate attention.
Still, hiring a Norfolk wrongful death lawyer like me, Ed Atkinson, is critical to seeking justice for your loss. If you lost a loved one due to someone’s wrongful actions or negligence, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
As a dedicated Norfolk personal injury lawyer, I am here to help you get justice and closure during this difficult time. Call today for a risk-free consultation.
Fatal Car Accident Cases in Norfolk and Portsmouth
After a fatal accident, car insurance companies and other liability insurance carriers will not wait until you have finished grieving before they contact your family and try to settle your wrongful death claim.
Insurers look to gather potential beneficiaries quickly while they are still disoriented and pay them as little as possible. They may even offer to pay for your loved one’s final expenses (i.e., funeral costs and outstanding hospital bills), even though such offers are typically far less than what should be paid.
In other words, they are not as generous as they sound. However, as an experienced wrongful death and personal injury attorney, I know how to negotiate with insurance companies and their legal teams for a fair settlement.
However, if that doesn’t work, I will file a lawsuit, prepare your case for trial, and fight for you in court.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Norfolk, call 757-648-8579
Available Compensation in a Norfolk Wrongful Death Claim
Different types of compensation may be available in your case, depending on the circumstances. Some examples of available compensation in Norfolk wrongful death cases include:
- Burial and funeral expenses: The cost of funeral and burial services can add up quickly, and compensation could help alleviate your financial burden.
- Medical expenses: These include medical bills incurred due to the events leading up to your loved one’s death.
- Loss of income: If your loved one was the family’s primary breadwinner, compensation may be available for the income they would have earned if they had lived.
- Loss of household services: If your loved one contributed to the household in other ways, such as taking care of children or performing household chores, compensation might be available for the value of those services.
- Pain and suffering: This includes the emotional distress you experience due to losing your loved one.
- Loss of companionship: This refers to losing your relationship with the deceased, including love, care, guidance, and support.
- Punitive damages: In certain cases, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party for their wrongdoings and deter similar behavior.
Working with an experienced wrongful death attorney in Norfolk can help ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your particular case.
As your attorney, I will work tirelessly to investigate the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death and pursue the compensation your case deserves.
Norfolk Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Virginia Law Protects Families When Their Loved Ones Are Killed Through Negligence
The Code of Virginia § 8.01-50 and related statutes give a legal remedy to family members in the event of a death by “wrongful act, neglect, or default.”
Most commonly, these cases involve car accident victims. Still, the same legal principles apply to other fatal accidents, with certain differences in each instance.
Accidents That Result in Fatal Injuries
I handle wrongful death cases, including the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Boating accidents
- Defective products
- Dog attacks
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
What Norfolk Wrongful Death Attorney Ed Atkinson Can Do for Your Case
It can be a difficult and overwhelming time when you face losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. This is where an experienced wrongful death and personal injury lawyer can help.
Here are some of the ways I can assist you with your wrongful death case:
- Provide a free consultation: I will listen to the details of your case and help you understand your options. You can also ask about the legal process and what to expect during this free consultation.
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence: As I mentioned, I will thoroughly investigate the incident that caused your loved one’s death. This process can involve reviewing police reports, medical records, and other relevant documents, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with experts.
- Calculate your damages: As an experienced wrongful death attorney, I can help you understand the full extent of your losses and calculate the damages you are entitled to, both economic and non-economic.
- Negotiate with insurance companies: I will handle settlement negotiations with the insurance companies involved in your case to ensure you receive fair compensation. As your legal advocate, I will fight to protect your rights at every step.
- Represent you in court: If necessary, I can represent you in court and present a strong case on your behalf. As an experienced litigator, I am more than willing to take your case to trial if it is in your best interest.
- Provide compassionate legal support: Losing a loved one is never easy, and I know the emotional toll that a wrongful death case can take on a family. My staff and I will provide compassionate support throughout the legal process, keeping you informed and helping you navigate any challenges.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Time Limit for Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Like other states, Virginia has a statute of limitations that sets a time limit for filing a wrongful death action. This deadline is outlined in the Code of Virginia § 8.01-244. If you fail to file your lawsuit within the allotted time, you may lose your right to pursue compensation for your loved one’s death.
It’s important to note that certain exceptions apply to the two-year limit. If you are unsure whether you have missed the deadline for taking legal action, I can review the circumstances of your case to determine whether you can still file suit.
Contact My Norfolk Office Today
Like any other complex legal matter, you shouldn’t try to handle a Virginia wrongful death claim without a licensed attorney. Instead, rely on my experience to guide you through the process. As your Norfolk wrongful death attorney, I will fight to help you get the compensation and closure you deserve.
When you contact Atkinson Law, I will never treat your case like it’s on an assembly line, passing you off to a different employee at each stage of your claim. Instead, my staff and I provide personalized, responsive service, returning calls very quickly.
If you have lost a loved one because of another’s negligence, contact me immediately for a free consultation.