You are an experienced, careful motorcycle rider, but one day, another driver doesn’t see you and causes a collision. You suffer serious injuries. What do you do? How do you reclaim your life after a devastating motorcycle, moped, or scooter accident?
When pursuing compensation for medical expenses and other legal damages, you may find yourself at odds with your “own” insurance company. The coverage you paid for should come to you easily. Yet it seldom does, which is why you need an experienced Norfolk motorcycle accident firm like Atkinson Law.
7 Steps to Take After a Norfolk Motorcycle Accident
After a serious accident, protecting your rights is important to ensure you get maximum compensation for your injuries.
Here are seven crucial steps to take after a Norfolk motorcycle accident to help safeguard your interests and strengthen your claim:
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if your injuries do not appear serious.
- Start a journal to document your recovery efforts, pain and suffering, lost wages, and diminished quality of life. These may be compensable damages in a motorcycle accident lawsuit or insurance claim.
- Preserve evidence from the accident scene, such as photographs, videos, and witness contact information, to support your claim.
- Keep detailed records of all your medical treatments, doctor’s visits, and therapy sessions, including dates, names of healthcare providers, and the cost of treatments. Also, track property damage costs and receipts and any other expenses related to the accident (e.g., rental car, transportation to medical appointments).
- Stay off social media and avoid discussing the accident, your injuries, or your case with anyone other than your attorney. This information could be used against you in your claim.
- Contact an experienced Norfolk motorcycle accident attorney like myself. I can help you with every aspect of your case, from filing insurance claims to negotiating with the at-fault driver’s insurer.
- Be patient throughout the process, understanding that personal injury claims can take time to resolve. I will work aggressively to secure financial compensation for your injuries and losses.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Norfolk, call 757-648-8579
Common Injuries Sustained in Motorcycle Wrecks
Motorcycle crashes frequently result in severe injuries due to the lack of protection riders have compared to those in cars or trucks.
Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Road rash: This refers to abrasions caused when a rider’s skin scrapes along the rough pavement. Road rash can be painful and severe, resulting in scarring and infection.
- Broken bones: The impact force in a motorcycle crash can easily break bones, particularly in the legs, arms, and ribs. Severe fractures may require expensive surgery and physical therapy to heal.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): A helmet is the most effective way to prevent a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle crash. However, even with a helmet, some accidents can still result in concussions, skull fractures, brain bleeds, and other severe head trauma.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord damage can cause life-altering paralysis, depending on the location and severity of the injury. These injuries often require immediate emergency treatment and long-term physical rehabilitation.
- Internal organ damage: A motorcycle accident victim could suffer from a ruptured spleen or damage to the kidneys, liver, or other organs. Internal injuries mandate immediate emergency care; severe pain, dizziness, and bleeding are symptoms to watch out for.
- Amputations: Severe crush injuries or deep arm and leg lacerations may necessitate full or partial amputations. Prosthetics and rehabilitation can help amputees adapt to their new condition, but both are expensive. Amputees often suffer from severe emotional trauma and PTSD.
- Facial injuries: Injuries to the face, including a broken jaw, lost teeth, eye injuries, and deep lacerations, can occur in a motorcycle crash where the rider is ejected and collides face-first into an object. Facial injuries eventually heal but may result in permanent scarring, especially without proper treatment and reconstruction.
Norfolk Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Maximizing Your Compensation With the Help of a Norfolk Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
As an experienced Norfolk motorcycle accident lawyer, I will fight to maximize your compensation. However, unlike many personal injury attorneys at big-name law firms, I don’t treat your case like a number, passing you off to an unqualified “intake specialist” or “case manager.”
When you become my client, you will be able to speak with me personally, a licensed Virginia attorney.
I operate my law firm based on the principle that “overkill is still a kill.” In other words, I would rather collect more evidence than I need than be the slightest bit underprepared. And when I take on a case, I pursue all available damages on behalf of my client.
Available Damages After a Motorcycle Crash
You may be eligible for a wide range of damages that fall into the following categories:
- Economic damages: These are losses with exact dollar amounts attached to them. In addition to helping you fix or replace your bike, I meticulously account for every medical bill, lost paycheck, and other expenses caused by the crash.
- Non-economic damages: I understand that no amount of money can fully compensate you for the pain and suffering caused by a traumatic crash. However, I will work with you and your healthcare providers to place a monetary value on the physical and emotional harm you suffered.
- Punitive damages: If drunk driving or drug intoxication is involved, punitive damages send a message to the at-fault party. I will leave no stone unturned in investigating the defendant’s actions to determine whether punitive damages are warranted.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Time Is of the Essence After a Motorcycle Crash
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Norfolk, it’s best to contact me immediately. Time is of the essence in a Virginia personal injury claim, so taking legal action now can help ensure you receive fair compensation.
Here are some reasons why we need to move quickly after a motorcycle crash:
- Evidence can disappear or become harder to collect as time goes on.
- Witness memories can fade, making it harder to gather testimony.
- Insurance companies may have already started building a case against you, and waiting can put you at a disadvantage.
- According to the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, Virginia’s statute of limitations requires that you file your personal injury lawsuit within two years of the accident date. If a loved one died due to a motorcycle crash, the deadline for filing a wrongful death claim is two years from the date of their passing.
- Getting prompt medical treatment can help you recover faster and provide important documentation for your case.
Don’t wait to take action after a motorcycle accident. First, seek medical attention, and then contact me as soon as possible so I can start building your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why Choose Atkinson Law in Norfolk, VA?
There are plenty of capable Norfolk personal injury lawyers out there, giving you many choices. You should find a law firm that can do the job and makes you feel comfortable and confident. You deserve an attorney-client experience that reflects your preferences and values. If that’s not me, then no hard feelings. You can choose the biggest law firm with the loudest commercials. If that makes you comfortable, that’s just fine!
But I have earned a reputation for unbeatable service in the attorney-client relationship because I listen, I answer your calls and emails, and I put my extensive knowledge to work in every single case. I get the deepest satisfaction from meeting new people and proving the value of my services to each and every client.
I’m Attorney Ed Atkinson, and I was an insurance company trial lawyer for years and I know their tactics. Years of my career were spent defending insurance companies that issue policies to careless motorists. So I’m familiar with the inner workings of these firms and their legal teams. I use this knowledge to get you maximum value for your claim.
Norfolk Motorcycle Accident Attorney: Ed Atkinson
If you’re an injured motorcycle driver, a successful personal injury claim requires the expertise of a qualified motorcycle accident attorney. Atkinson Law regularly represents people injured in all types of motor vehicle accidents, including those involving mopeds and scooters.
If someone else’s negligence caused your accident, I am here to help you get compensation for all you’ve endured. Together, we will hold the negligent parties fully accountable for their actions. Don’t try to deal with the insurance company alone!
Contact me today for a free consultation.