A bus accident can have life-altering consequences, leaving you with severe injuries, mounting medical expenses, and stress. As an experienced Norfolk bus accident lawyer, I understand the impact these collisions can have on individuals and their families. I’m Ed Atkinson, and I am dedicated to providing compassionate legal representation to guide you through this challenging time.
With my in-depth knowledge of Virginia traffic laws, I am well-equipped to handle your bus accident case. Whether you were a bus passenger, a pedestrian, or in another vehicle involved in the crash, I will work tirelessly to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Contact my office today to schedule a free, no-risk case evaluation.
Norfolk Bus Accident Causes
When pursuing financial compensation after a Norfolk bus accident, determining the cause of the collision is an important first step. As your Norfolk personal injury attorney, I can help you gather evidence to pinpoint what happened.
Common causes of collisions involving buses include:
- Driver error: Bus drivers can engage in careless behaviors such as speeding, distracted driving, and reckless maneuvers, leading to preventable accidents. In some cases, an employer could be responsible for an employee’s inadequate training.
- Driving while fatigued: Bus drivers may become tired from working long hours, impairing their judgment and slowing their reaction times.
- Mechanical failure: Crashes can occur due to tire blowouts, faulty brakes, steering malfunctions, and other mechanical issues. These failures could be due to defective parts or improper maintenance practices.
- Adverse weather conditions: Inclement weather, such as rain, snow, and ice, can increase the risk of collisions if motorists fail to drive appropriately for the conditions.
- Road hazards: Poorly maintained roads, debris left on the roadway, and construction projects can pose hazards that lead to accidents.
- Other motorists’ negligence: Following too closely, failing to yield, and speeding are all examples of how another driver’s carelessness can cause a bus accident.
Reaching out to Atkinson Law soon after a collision will ensure you meet all applicable deadlines, including the statute of limitations for personal injury claims according to Virginia law.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Norfolk, call 757-648-8579
Virginia Bus Accident Liability
After a bus accident in Virginia, determining liability is another critical step in seeking compensation for your injuries and losses. Liability refers to the legal responsibility of the parties involved in the crash.
Several parties can be responsible for a bus accident, including:
- The bus driver: As previously mentioned, the bus driver’s actions or inaction can contribute to a collision. If the driver’s behavior falls short of a reasonable standard of care, they may be liable for the resulting damages.
- The bus company: The company that owns or operates the bus may be liable for the accident if they fail to enforce safety protocols, maintain the vehicle, or hire qualified drivers. Vicarious liability often comes into play, making the employer liable for the actions of its employees.
- A government entity: If a government entity owns the bus, it may be liable for the accident just as a business might be.
- The bus manufacturer: If the collision resulted from a defect in the bus, the bus manufacturer may be to blame.
- Other negligent parties: In some cases, other parties uninvolved with the bus may share responsibility for the accident. This can include other motorists contributing to the crash or a company responsible for road construction.
Proving liability in a commercial vehicle accident requires a thorough investigation, sufficient evidence, and a solid legal argument. I can investigate the crash, negotiate with the insurance company, and fight for you in court if needed.
Norfolk Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Available Damages in a Norfolk Bus Accident Case
Obtaining financial compensation after a collision can pay for your medical treatment and restore your financial stability. After a Norfolk bus accident, you may be able to recover the following damages:
- Medical costs: Bus accident injuries can require immediate medical attention and ongoing physical therapy. You can seek compensation for all medical expenses, including doctor visits, hospitalizations, surgeries, medications, and physical therapy.
- Pain and suffering: Motor vehicle collisions can cause intense physical pain, mental anguish, and a decreased quality of life. The pain and suffering category includes emotional hardships, depression, anxiety, and loss of enjoyment.
- Loss of income: If your injuries cause you to miss work or prevent you from returning, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages or future earning potential.
- Property damage: If your belongings, such as a vehicle, phone, or laptop, were damaged in the crash, you can seek compensation to cover repairs or replacement costs.
- Wrongful death: If the bus collision results in a tragic loss of life, surviving family members may pursue wrongful death damages to cover burial and funeral expenses and the emotional toll losing a loved one takes on their family.
As your Norfolk bus accident attorney, I can gather the relevant evidence and help assess the value of your claim. I handle cases on contingency, so you pay nothing unless we win.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Atkinson Law for a Free Consultation
I started Atkinson Law because I knew I could provide highly effective legal representation and personalized service to every client. As an experienced trial lawyer who used to represent insurance companies, I know how to fight for injured accident victims.
After a devastating bus collision, I can help you navigate the claims or litigation process. During our consultation, we can discuss the details of your case, assess the strength of your claim, and go over your legal options. We can meet at my Norfolk office, or I will travel to where you are. Online and telephone appointments are available, too.
Contact me today to schedule your free consultation.