A spinal cord injury can mean lifelong disabilities, expensive medical treatments, and intense emotional distress. After receiving such a devastating diagnosis, you need a proven and compassionate Norfolk spinal cord injury lawyer to pursue financial compensation and hold the at-fault party responsible.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and as an experienced personal injury lawyer in Norfolk, I can evaluate your case and explain your legal options. If we decide to move forward, I will handle all aspects of your personal injury claim so you can focus on your health and rehabilitation. I can meet you where you are, or we can discuss your case over the phone.
Call Atkinson Law today or complete the online form to schedule a free, zero-risk consultation.
Accidents I Handle as a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Norfolk
Spinal cord injuries can result from various accidents, each requiring tailored legal support to obtain a fair settlement.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car, motorcycle, and truck accidents are among the most common causes of spinal cord injuries. The force of impact during a collision can damage the spinal cord, often resulting in life-changing consequences.
- Swimming pool accidents: Diving into shallow water can result in spinal cord injuries. Proper signage and other safety precautions are essential to preventing these incidents.
- Falls: Slip-and-fall accidents can sometimes result in spinal cord injuries in public places or on private property. Falls from heights are more likely to lead to severe trauma.
- Workplace accidents: Certain jobs, especially those involving construction and heavy machinery, pose a higher risk of accidents leading to spinal cord damage. Falls or equipment malfunctions can be catastrophic.
- Dog and horse injuries: Dogs and horses can cause catastrophic injuries, including spinal cord injuries for which you will need constant care.
- Recreational vehicles: Accidents involving vehicles like ATVs, snowmobiles, or jet skis may cause serious injuries due to high-speed collisions or rollovers.
If you or a loved one has been injured in any kind of accident involving negligence, seeking legal guidance from an experienced Norfolk spinal cord injury lawyer is crucial to recovering a fair settlement or court award.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Norfolk, call 757-648-8579
Compensation I Could Help You Pursue for Your Spinal Cord Injuries
While many spinal cord injury patients regain mobility and sensation, these injuries could permanently disable you, changing your life forever. Your condition can also create a heavy financial burden, affecting your life and your family’s finances.
As a severely injured accident victim, you may be entitled to a range of damages, both economic and non-economic, including the following:
- Medical bills: Coverage for past and future medical expenses
- Future medical care: Funds to support your ongoing medical needs
- Assistive devices: Financial support for necessary devices to aid in your daily life, such as a wheelchair and adjustable bed
- Home and vehicle modifications: Money for adjustments needed to accommodate your injury, such as ramps and wheelchair lifts
- Pain and mental anguish: Compensation for the physical and emotional distress caused by the injury
- Lost wages: Money to replace the income you’ve lost due to your injury
- Loss of earning capacity: Compensation for any reduction in your ability to earn income in the future
I will work with medical experts and compile evidence to demonstrate the full extent of your losses. As an experienced personal injury attorney, I know how to counter their tactics.
Rest assured, I won’t let them shortchange you. If the insurer fails to agree to a fair settlement, I can sue the liable party and present your case to the jury.
Norfolk Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
A Virginia Court May Award Punitive Damages
Punitive or exemplary damages aim to punish the negligent party for their misconduct and make an example of them. These additional damages are often awarded in situations involving “willful and wanton” behavior.
While punitive damages do not apply to every personal injury claim, motor vehicle accidents caused by drunk drivers are more likely to qualify. For instance, we could seek punitive damages if a drunk driver who caused your accident had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.15% or higher.
Even if they had a lower BAC, I still might be able to get them under something called the “common law” standard. Also, the Virginia law sees the unjustified refusal of a breath test as an unlawful disregard for the safety of others.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Virginia’s Time Limit for Personal Injury Claims
Time is of the essence if you’ve been injured due to someone else’s carelessness. There’s a specific window of opportunity for seeking compensation, and if you miss this deadline, the court could refuse to hear your case.
In Virginia, you usually have two years to file a civil suit for personal injury or wrongful death caused by another’s negligence. However, certain exceptions can shorten or lengthen this deadline. When you contact me for your initial consultation, I’ll tell you exactly how much time you have left to file.
While two years may seem like plenty of time, I recommend taking action now. Calling Atkinson Law soon after your accident will improve your chance of obtaining a fair settlement because it gives me time to gather evidence and build a solid case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Norfolk Spinal Cord Injury Case Consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury through no fault of your own, don’t wait. My team and I are here to help you pursue maximum compensation for all you’ve endured. Unlike other accident lawyers in our area who treat your case like a number, I’ll work tirelessly to get you a fair settlement or court award.
Don’t let an insurance company take advantage of you. Your future is on the line, and Atkinson Law is here to protect it. Call my office now or fill out the online contact form to schedule your free consultation and take the first step toward justice and financial recovery.