A spinal cord injury can mean an uncertain future, expensive medical treatments, and financial problems from lost income. After receiving such a devastating diagnosis, you need an experienced Newport News spinal cord injury lawyer to help you pursue financial compensation from the liable party.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Newport News personal injury lawyer who handles these cases, I can evaluate your situation and explain your legal options. If we decide to move forward, I will fight for a fair settlement or court award on your behalf. I can meet you in the comfort of your home, or we could discuss your case over the phone.
Contact Atkinson Law to schedule your free, no-risk consultation.
Accidents I Handle as a Newport News Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Spinal cord damage can result from various accidents, each requiring tailored legal representation to obtain an appropriate settlement.
Examples of accident cases I handle include:
- Motor vehicle collisions: Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are among the most common causes of spinal cord damage due to the force of impact in high-speed collisions.
- Workplace accidents: Certain professions, especially those involving construction and heavy machinery, carry a higher risk of accidents resulting in spinal cord damage. Falls or equipment malfunctions can have catastrophic consequences.
- Recreational vehicles: Accidents involving vehicles like ATVs, snowmobiles, or jet skis can lead to serious injuries due to high-speed collisions or rollovers.
- Swimming pool accidents: Spinal cord injuries can occur when someone dives into shallow water. Adequate signage and safety precautions are essential in preventing such incidents.
- Falls: Slip-and-fall accidents, whether in public places or on private property, can occasionally cause spinal cord damage. Falls from significant heights are more likely to result in severe trauma.
- Dog and horse injuries: Dogs and horses can both inflict catastrophic injuries, including spinal cord damage.
Regardless of how an accident happens, a disabling injury can cause financial burdens that affect your whole family. That’s why you need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Newport News, call 757-648-8579
Potential Compensation in a Virginia Spinal Cord Injury Case
I can assist you in pursuing a wide range of damages for your injury. While some spinal cord injury patients regain mobility and sensation, others may face permanent disabilities that change their lives forever.
After sustaining spinal cord damage, you may be entitled to the following forms of compensation:
- Medical expenses: This broad category covers both your past medical bills and anticipated care needs, including physical therapy and rehabilitation services.
- Assistive devices: If you experience paralysis, whether temporary or permanent, you will need equipment to aid in your daily life, like a wheelchair and an adjustable bed.
- Home and vehicle modifications: You may also need money for modifications to accommodate your injury, such as ramps and wheelchair lifts.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to both physical pain and emotional distress caused by the injury.
- Lost wages: This damage covers the income you’ve lost from missing work due to the accident.
- Loss of earning capacity: This damage addresses any reduction in your ability to earn income in the future.
- Punitive damages: Virginia courts sometimes award punitive damages to punish the at-fault party and make an example of them. While these additional damages are not available in every personal injury case, victims of drunk driving accidents are more likely to qualify.
I will work with your doctors and other medical experts if needed to show the full extent of your injuries. As an experienced trial lawyer, I will gladly take your case to court if the insurance company refuses to agree to a fair settlement.
Newport News Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Virginia’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
Each state has a time limit for seeking compensation after an accident, and if you try to take action after the deadline, the court could throw out your case.
Virginia law gives you two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Certain exceptions could alter the deadline, which is why it’s important to seek legal advice. When you reach out to me for a free case evaluation, I’ll let you know how the statute of limitations applies to your case.
Two years may seem like plenty of time, but waiting is never a good idea. Contacting Atkinson Law soon after the accident will ensure you meet the deadline and will give me more time to build a compelling case. Since I handle cases on contingency, you won’t pay anything upfront or out of pocket. I only get paid when we win.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Free Consultation With a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Newport News
If you or a loved one sustained spinal cord damage in an accident someone else caused, you deserve a settlement that addresses the drastic changes in your life. Atkinson Law is here to help you pursue the maximum compensation available.
Unlike other law firms that treat your case like a number, my team and I will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.
Don’t settle with an insurance company without seeking legal advice first. You need a settlement or court award that covers your future financial needs. Call now or fill out the online contact form for a free consultation.