The unexpected loss of a family member due to someone else’s negligence can leave you feeling helpless and angry. While no amount of money can bring your loved one back, a Virginia Beach wrongful death lawyer can help hold the responsible party accountable and provide financial security for your family’s future.
I’m Attorney Ed Atkinson, and I can help you pursue justice and compensation while you attend to other matters like honoring your loved one’s memory. As an experienced Virginia Beach personal injury lawyer who handles wrongful death claims, I could help you maximize your compensation. You’ll pay nothing unless I win your case.
Contact me at Atkinson Law for a free consultation.
Recoverable Damages in a Virginia Beach Wrongful Death Case
Seeking compensation for wrongful death is a way to ease the financial burden of losing a family member. A wide range of damages may be available in a Virginia Beach case, depending on the circumstances.
While case results will vary, examples of recoverable damages in a Virginia Beach wrongful death case include:
- Funeral and burial costs: The cost of burial and funeral services can be surprisingly high, and compensation could help relieve the financial pressure during this already difficult time.
- Loss of income: If the deceased provided for your family financially, compensation may be available to replace the income they would have contributed had they lived.
- Medical expenses: These include medical bills incurred due to the events leading up to your loved one’s passing, such as hospitalization and treatment costs.
- Loss of services: If your loved one helped the family in other ways, such as caring for children or handling household duties, you might be entitled to compensation for the value of those services.
- Loss of companionship: This refers to the psychological impact of losing the love, support, and guidance your family member provided.
- Pain and suffering: This category includes the emotional trauma you and your family experience due to the profound loss of your loved one.
- Punitive damages: In cases involving drunk driving, the court may award punitive damages to punish the negligent individual or entity for their actions and discourage similar conduct.
Enlisting the help of an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Virginia Beach could help you recover the compensation your case warrants.
As your attorney, I am dedicated to investigating the circumstances of your loved one’s passing and will fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Virginia Beach, call 757-648-8579
Eligibility to File a Wrongful Death Claim in Virginia
In accordance with the provisions outlined in the Code of Virginia § 8.01-53, certain family members may be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit. An authorized representative of the decedent’s estate is typically responsible for initiating the lawsuit on behalf of surviving family members.
Those eligible to benefit from a wrongful death claim in Virginia include the following:
- The surviving spouse of the deceased person
- Children or grandchildren of the deceased
- Other relatives who were part of the deceased victim’s household and depended on them for support
In cases where multiple potential beneficiaries are involved, such as several grandchildren, the usual practice is to distribute the compensation equally among them. However, the court may take various factors into account when determining the distribution of the award.
These factors may include the individual financial needs of each beneficiary and their unique relationship with the deceased.
Virginia Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
How Atkinson Law Can Assist You
Losing someone due to another person’s negligence or misconduct can be an emotionally overwhelming experience. In these difficult times, the guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney like me can make a significant difference.
Here’s how I can support you throughout your wrongful death case:
- Complimentary consultation: You can start by scheduling a free consultation with me. During this session, I will attentively listen to your story, provide insights into your legal options, and address any questions or concerns you may have. This initial consultation will also cover what you can anticipate in the legal process.
- Thorough investigation and evidence collection: I will conduct a comprehensive inquiry into the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s tragic passing. This includes scrutinizing accident reports, medical records, and other pertinent documentation, as well as interviewing witnesses and consulting with professionals in relevant fields.
- Assessment of damages: Drawing from my extensive experience as a wrongful death lawyer, I will assist you in assessing the full scope of your damages. My calculations will encompass both financial and non-financial damages, ensuring you have a clear understanding of what you are entitled to.
- Skillful negotiations: My role includes managing negotiations with the involved insurance companies. I will work tirelessly to secure fair compensation and advocate for you throughout the negotiation process.
- Court representation: If it becomes necessary, I am prepared to represent you in court. Drawing from my experience as a seasoned litigator, I will present a compelling case to advocate for your interests, including taking your case to trial if it is necessary for a favorable outcome.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Compassionate Guidance from a Virginia Wrongful Death Lawyer
In the aftermath of a fatal accident, you need compassionate legal assistance. As an experienced wrongful death attorney serving Virginia Beach, I will provide unwavering support and guidance through legal proceedings.
You can rely on me to handle the legal aspects of your claim, allowing you the space to focus on your healing journey and caring for your loved ones. I will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s passing, utilizing all available evidence to establish liability.
Contact Atkinson Law to learn more during a free case evaluation.