The consequences of a personal injury can be physically and financially devastating, which is why the responsible party should be held accountable. If you or a family member were harmed due to someone else’s negligent actions, you deserve compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Whether you’re dealing with the aftermath of a car accident, a dog bite incident, or another life-altering mishap, you need a Suffolk personal injury lawyer on your side. I’m Ed Atkinson, and I can help you pursue a fair settlement or court award for your damages. Since I accept cases on a contingency-fee-basis, you won’t pay anything upfront.
Contact me today to get started with a free, zero-risk consultation.
Personal Injury Cases I Handle
As a personal injury lawyer serving Suffolk County and the surrounding areas, I represent injured clients in various cases involving bodily injuries and wrongful death.
Cases I handle include:
- Motor vehicle collisions: Car and truck accidents can cause severe injuries and costly damages. I can help you pursue compensation in even the most complex motor vehicle accident cases.
- Pedestrian accidents: If you or a loved one were hit by a car while on foot, Atkinson Law will advocate for your rights and pursue compensation for your medical bills and other damages.
- Motorcycle accidents: Scooters and motorcycles are an enjoyable mode of transportation in Suffolk; however, collisions often result in devastating injuries. After getting hit while riding, you need an experienced attorney like me to guide you through the claims process and pursue a settlement on your behalf.
- Boating and maritime accidents: After a maritime or recreational boating accident, I can assist you with the complexities of your case and help you obtain compensation for your injuries or the loss of a loved one.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect: Unfortunately, nursing home neglect and elder abuse are common in Virginia. I am committed to holding negligent facilities and other liable parties accountable for their misconduct and the pain they cause.
- Medical malpractice: Healthcare professionals are expected to provide reasonable care to the patients they are responsible for. When they fail to meet this obligation, the consequences can be disastrous. I can help you seek justice in a wide range of medical malpractice cases, including surgical errors and misdiagnosis.
- Dog attacks: Dog bites can cause scarring and disfigurement, dangerous infections, and psychological trauma. If someone else’s dog has bitten you or your child, I am here to help you hold the negligent pet owner responsible.
- Wrongful death: Losing someone you love is one of the hardest things you’ll ever face, and it can be even more painful if caused by negligence. I can help you pursue justice and compensation for your loss.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Suffolk, call 757-648-8579
Compensable Damages in a Suffolk Personal Injury Claim
You can seek damages if someone else’s negligent actions caused you harm. These damages will vary depending on the circumstances of your case but might include the following:
Economic losses refer to the financial costs you have incurred or will incur due to the incident. These damages aim to compensate you for expenses with bills attached. Examples of economic damages sought in personal injury cases include the following:
- Medical expenses: Personal injuries can lead to significant medical costs, including emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, and ongoing treatment. I can help ensure that your medical expenses are accurately calculated and included in your claim.
- Lost wages: If your injuries result in time away from work or an inability to return to your job, you may suffer financial hardship. I will assess your lost wages and seek compensation for the financial impact of your injuries on your employment.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or personal belongings were damaged or destroyed in the accident, I will pursue compensation for the cost of repair or replacement.
- Transportation expenses: Ongoing medical treatment may require help with transportation to and from appointments. I can seek compensation for the associated costs.
- Funeral and burial expenses: In tragic cases where a loved one has lost their life due to someone else’s actions, I can help you pursue a wrongful death claim, seeking compensation for funeral and burial expenses and the loss of financial support.
Non-economic losses refer to losses that are more difficult to quantify but are significant nonetheless. These losses may include:
- Pain and suffering: This category includes physical and emotional anguish, discomfort, and inconvenience.
- Mental anguish: This subcategory of pain and suffering includes conditions from the accident, like depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This loss includes the inability to participate in hobbies and social activities you used to enjoy.
- Loss of companionship: If a loved one succumbs to their injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for this profound loss.
Whether you were injured or a loved one passed away from an accident, I can win maximum compensation from the insurance companies for a settlement or verdict that addresses your economic and non-economic losses.
Suffolk Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Virginia Time Limit for Personal Injury Lawsuits
After a personal injury in the Suffolk area, you may wonder how much time you have to take legal action. According to Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, you generally have two years from your injury date or your loved one’s death to file a civil lawsuit. Barring unique circumstances, you will lose your right to compensation if you fail to file before the two-year mark.
Two years may seem like plenty of time, but time is of the essence in a personal injury case for several reasons. Reaching out immediately will allow me time to bolster your case by interviewing witnesses, compiling evidence, and preparing a legal strategy.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Atkinson Law for a Free Case Evaluation
If you or someone you care about has been harmed in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area, you need a dedicated Suffolk personal injury lawyer. Unlike other law firms that pass you off to a different non-attorney employee at every stage, I’ll give your case my personal attention from start to finish.
During our initial consultation, I’ll take the time to listen to your story and provide my honest assessment of your situation. If we decide to move forward, I will fight for the maximum compensation available in your case.
Contact Atkinson Law today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.