Most people have the same fears and questions after sustaining serious injuries in a motorcycle accident: How much will my medical treatment cost? What about future expenses? What if I can no longer do my job? After a life-altering crash, you need a qualified Portsmouth motorcycle accident lawyer on your side.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Portsmouth personal injury attorney with 15 years of experience, I am well-versed in the laws affecting motorcycle riders. I can provide an honest assessment of your case, and if we choose to move forward, I’ll work hard to get you a settlement or verdict that reflects your pain and suffering, medical expenses, and other losses.
Call me or fill out the online contact form for a free, no-obligation consultation.
A Portsmouth Motorcycle Accident Attorney Who Understands Insurance Companies
If a distracted driver or otherwise negligent motorist caused your accident, you may be able to obtain compensation from that person’s insurance company. However, insurers tend to offer low settlements and may try to blame you for the accident so they can deny your claim.
Before I started Atkinson Law, I spent years defending the insurance companies that issue policies to negligent drivers. I have insight into the inner workings of these corporations and know how to beat them at their own game.
As an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Portsmouth, I’m here to help you navigate the claims process and get a fair settlement after a life-altering crash.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Portsmouth, call 757-648-8579
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle crashes can result in severe and life-altering injuries due to the vulnerability of riders. Some of the most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Road rash: When a rider is thrown from the motorcycle, their skin can come into contact with the road, causing painful abrasions known as road rash.
- Broken bones: The impact of a collision can lead to fractures or breaks in the rider’s bones, such as the arms, legs, collarbones, and wrists.
- Head trauma: Head injuries are a significant concern in motorcycle crashes, and riders not wearing helmets are especially vulnerable to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and concussions. These injuries can result in long-term impairment and can be fatal.
- Spinal cord injuries: Accidents can cause damage to the spinal cord, leading to paralysis, nerve damage, chronic pain, and even death.
- Neck and back injuries: The force of impact in a motorcycle wreck can cause neck and back injuries, including strains, whiplash, and herniated discs.
- Internal injuries: Riders may suffer internal organ damage, internal bleeding, and punctured lungs, all of which can be life-threatening.
- Limb Injuries: Motorcycle accidents can cause severe injuries to arms and legs, including amputations and permanent disabilities.
- Facial Injuries: Riders may sustain facial fractures, dental injuries, and eye injuries, leading to disfigurement and dangerous complications.
Motorcycle accident injuries often require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and time off work, leading to significant financial burdens and stress. If you’ve been injured in a crash, seeking legal representation from an experienced attorney like me is crucial to obtaining fair compensation for your losses.
Portsmouth Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Recoverable Damages in a Portsmouth Motorcycle Accident Case
After a motorcycle crash in Portsmouth, you may be able to recover a wide range of losses called “damages.” As an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer, I can help you understand the recoverable damages in your case and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Here are some of the damages sought in motorcycle claims:
- Medical expenses: Motorcycle accidents often result in severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment. You can seek compensation for past, present, and future medical expenses, including hospital bills, surgeries, rehabilitation, medications, and other vital medical care.
- Lost income: If your injuries prevent you from working, you can pursue compensation for the income you lose out on during your recovery. Additionally, if your injuries result in a reduced earning capacity, you may be eligible for compensation for future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: Motorcycle crashes can cause physical pain and emotional trauma. Compensation for pain and suffering attempts to address the non-economic impact of the accident on your life, including mental suffering and decreased quality of life.
- Property damage: If your bike was damaged or destroyed in the crash, you can pursue compensation to repair or replace it.
- Disability: If your injuries lead to long-term disabilities or impairments, you may be entitled to additional compensation to address the long-term limitations caused by the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: Motorcycle accident injuries can impact your ability to engage in activities you once enjoyed. You may be eligible for compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life due to your accident-related limitations.
- Wrongful death damages: In the unfortunate event of a fatal motorcycle accident, surviving family members may be able to seek wrongful death damages, including funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and damages associated with the emotional toll of losing a loved one.
- Punitive damages: If a drunk driver or someone engaging in willful recklessness caused the collision, punitive damages may be sought to send a strong message about the severity of such actions.
As your legal advocate, I will thoroughly assess your case and work tirelessly to ensure that all relevant damages are considered in your claim. My goal is to help you secure the maximum compensation possible, allowing you to focus on your recovery and reclaim your life after the accident.
When you contact my office, I can assist you in calculating your damages and explain my plan for pursuing compensation in your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Long Do I Have To Take Legal Action?
The time limit in our state for filing a personal injury lawsuit is two years from the accident date, as outlined in the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243.
If you fail to file a legal claim before the deadline, you may lose your right to pursue damages for your accident-related losses. Certain exceptions may apply, and when you call me, I can let you know exactly how much time you have. That said, it’s best to contact me right away so I can start compiling evidence to build your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Take the First Step on the Road to Financial Recovery
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle crash, don’t wait to seek legal help. As an experienced attorney who handles motorcycle accidents in Portsmouth, I understand the challenges you face. You might have a long and painful recovery ahead, a growing stack of medical bills, and money problems from missing work.
I will work with you to craft a custom legal strategy that meets your needs. Contact Atkinson Law today to take the first step toward obtaining justice and financial compensation. Your initial consultation is free, and you won’t pay anything unless we win your case.