A drunk driver’s negligence in a car accident can leave you with a mountain of medical debt, significant property damage to your vehicle, and a difficult recovery process. I’m Ed Atkinson, and as your Chesapeake drunk driving accident lawyer, I can fight for a settlement that addresses your economic damages and the pain and suffering you’ve endured.
If you need a car accident lawyer in Chesapeake, I can meet you at the hospital, your home, or one of my meeting spaces. I also offer internet and phone consultations for your convenience. Hold the negligent drunk driver accountable and make his insurance company pay up! I am here to help you recover the financial compensation you deserve.
For personalized legal assistance in Chesapeake, turn to Atkinson Law, your experienced Chesapeake personal injury lawyer. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.
Recoverable Damages in a Chesapeake Drunk Driving Accident Case
The aftermath of a drunk-driving collision can bring excruciating physical pain and substantial financial burdens. It’s important to understand the potential value of your case, particularly if you’ve sustained injuries.
As a seasoned car accident attorney, I can assist you in pursuing a range of damages, including:
- Medical expenses: This encompasses all your medical costs, from the initial ambulance ride and emergency treatment to surgeries, follow-up appointments, physical therapy, prescription medication, and other medically necessary treatments.
- Lost wages: An accident can leave you unable to work. I will include any missed income when determining the settlement amount you deserve.
- Pain and suffering: This category addresses various non-economic damages stemming from the accident and your injury, including the inconvenience, physical pain, and emotional distress you’ve endured.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If you can’t do the things you enjoyed before the accident, your settlement should reflect that. This may include hobbies, vacations, social outings with friends, or any other activities that have become challenging or impossible due to the injuries you suffered in the crash.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving accidents lawyer serving Chesapeake, call 757-648-8579
Wrongful Death Damages After a Fatal Crash
The profound impact of losing a loved one in a fatal crash cannot be overstated. It is a burden that weighs heavily on the hearts of surviving family members, affecting every facet of their daily lives.
I’ve walked alongside numerous clients through their grief, understanding the immense weight of such a loss and sharing their unwavering desire for justice.
In a Virginia wrongful death case, potential damages may encompass:
- Loss of companionship: This acknowledges the irreplaceable void left by the departed, encompassing the emotional and personal support that can never be replaced.
- Funeral and burial expenses: These expenses can place a significant burden on grieving families, and financial compensation can help alleviate this strain.
- Loss of income and financial support: Did your loved one provide you with financial support before the accident? This loss can be taken into consideration, helping to address the economic impact of their absence.
- Emotional anguish: This compensation addresses the damages associated with the emotional toll of losing a loved one.
- Medical bills: Accident-related medical expenses your family member faced before passing may be recoverable.
My commitment as your attorney is to guide you through the legal process and provide empathetic support during this difficult time. When I accept your case, I will fight to ensure you receive enough compensation to ease the burdens placed upon you by this tragic loss.
Chesapeake Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Punitive Damages in Virginia
In Virginia, the court often awards punitive damages in drunk driving cases. These damages are in addition to compensatory damages and aim to penalize the drunk driver for their reprehensible behavior.
High Blood Alcohol Level
Suppose the intoxicated driver’s blood alcohol content (BAC) was 0.15% or above. In that case, the court may award you punitive damages to hold the drunk driver accountable for their blatant disregard for your safety.
Breath Test Refusal
Another situation that could warrant punitive damages is if the defendant declined to submit to a breath test, as mandated by the Code of Virginia § 18.2-268.2. The court views refusing the test as a conscious disregard for other people’s safety.
As your personal injury attorney, I will diligently compile evidence to support your claim and explore all available avenues for recovering compensation. I am dedicated to helping drunk driving accident victims and will seek the maximum compensation available in your case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Virginia Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Per the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, there is a time limit for taking legal action against the responsible party. You generally have two years to initiate a personal injury lawsuit, although certain exceptions may apply. This two-year statute of limitations also extends to wrongful death lawsuits.
Acting promptly by reaching out to Atkinson Law gives me more time to prepare your case for a potential trial. Conversely, waiting too long may lead to losing crucial evidence and having difficulty locating witnesses.
Based on my motto, “Overkill is still a kill,” I have a proactive approach to case building. Drawing on my 15 years of experience as a Chesapeake drunk driving accident lawyer, I would rather have more evidence than I need than risk even being slightly underprepared for a trial.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Chesapeake Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Ed Atkinson
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a drunk driving accident in Chesapeake, you don’t have to face this situation alone. As your Chesapeake drunk driving accident lawyer, I am here to provide you with the experienced and compassionate legal representation you need after a devastating crash.
Your rights and your future matter, and I am here to protect them. I handle cases on a contingency-fee basis, so you won’t pay anything upfront or out of pocket. Contact Atkinson Law today for a free consultation.