A spinal cord injury can turn your life upside down, affecting your physical well-being, emotional stability, and finances. After receiving this life-altering diagnosis, you need a Chesapeake spinal cord injury lawyer to hold the at-fault party accountable.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and I am here to provide the legal support you need during this uncertain time. As an experienced personal injury lawyer serving Chesapeake, VA, and the surrounding areas, I can help you pursue financial compensation for a wide range of damages.
Contact Atkinson Law today for a free, zero-risk case evaluation.
Compensation I Could Help You Pursue as a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chesapeake
A spinal cord injury can have far-reaching consequences due to its effects on your health and mobility. As your attorney, my goal will be to lighten your financial burdens while you get the treatment you need.
While each case is unique, here are some damages I will seek on your behalf:
- Medical costs: Treating a spinal cord injury is costly. I will pursue compensation for your medical bills, including emergency care, surgeries, hospital stays, medications, rehabilitation, therapy, assistive devices like wheelchairs or adjustable beds, and any required ongoing medical care.
- Long-term care expenses: Many spinal cord injury victims need full or part-time care at home or in specialized facilities. You should receive compensation for these expenses.
- Lost income: If your accident renders you unable to work for a while or affects your earning potential, the law allows for compensation for lost wages and future income.
- Pain and suffering: People with spinal cord injuries often endure extreme physical discomfort and emotional distress. We will fight for compensation related to pain, suffering, and psychological trauma resulting from your accident.
- Home and vehicle modifications: Paralysis due to a spinal cord injury often requires wheelchair use. If you need modifications to your residence or automobile, such as wheelchair ramps or lifts, you deserve compensation to cover these costs.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: A spinal cord injury can limit your ability to engage in activities you used to enjoy. You should be compensated for this loss.
- Wrongful death damages: Sadly, many spinal cord injury patients do not survive. If your spouse or family member passes away due to their injuries, I can help you obtain wrongful death damages to help with expenses during this difficult time.
- Punitive damages: Punitive or exemplary damages serve to punish the negligent party for their actions and set a precedent. These additional damages are typically granted in cases involving “willful and wanton” conduct. An example of this kind of behavior is when someone drives drunk and injures or kills someone.
The damages you recover will depend on the circumstances of your accident and how your injury has impacted your life. As your Chesapeake spinal cord injury attorney, I will work to secure the maximum compensation available in your case. This could be through insurance negotiations, but I’m prepared to go the distance and fight for you in court.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Chesapeake, call 757-648-8579
As Your Personal Injury Attorney, I’ll Deal With the Insurance Companies
Insurance companies prefer working with accident victims who don’t have a lawyer, as it tends to work in their favor. As someone who has represented insurance companies in the past, I know their strategies and how to counter them. You can leave the insurance negotiations to me while you concentrate on your recovery.
Following our initial consultation, I will begin gathering the necessary evidence and documentation to strengthen your claim with the insurance company.
If the insurer doesn’t provide a settlement high enough to cover your losses, I will file a lawsuit, prepare for trial, and fight for you at every stage of your case. Unlike many other law firms that take days to return your calls, Atkinson Law will stay in close communication with you, providing case updates as often as you like.
Chesapeake Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Virginia’s Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims
When you’ve suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, time is of the essence. Each state has a specific timeframe for pursuing compensation, and failing to meet this deadline could result in the court throwing out your case.
In Virginia, the statute of limitations for both personal injury and wrongful death cases is two years. However, some exceptions may extend or shorten this timeframe. During your initial consultation with me, I will let you know exactly how much time you have left to file a lawsuit.
Although two years is a long time, I advise taking action sooner rather than later. Contacting an attorney shortly after your accident improves your chances of securing a fair settlement. If you reach out to me now, I’ll have more time to gather evidence and build a strong case for compensation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
No-Risk Consultation With a Chesapeake Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Recovering fair compensation following a serious accident isn’t easy, but I’m here to help. Atkinson Law is committed to fighting for your rights and securing everything you deserve.
As your attorney, I will take over communications with the insurance company, handle all legal documentation, and, if needed, represent you in a jury trial. Since I work on a contingency basis, you won’t have to worry about upfront fees; you only pay when I successfully resolve your case.
Contact my office today to get started with a free case evaluation.