A spinal cord injury can dramatically alter your life, affecting your physical health, emotional well-being, and financial future. In times like these, you need more than just legal representation; you need a compassionate ally who will fight for the settlement or court award you deserve.
I’m Ed Atkinson, and as a Virginia spinal cord injury lawyer, I’m here to provide legal representation during this difficult time. I can help you pursue compensation for a wide range of damages and will gladly travel to meet you for your free consultation. We can also talk over the phone or the Internet.
Atkinson Law is here for you when you need an experienced personal injury lawyer in Virginia.
Negligence Leading to a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are serious, life-altering conditions that often result from negligent or careless behavior. To qualify for compensation, you or your attorney must prove that the defendant had a duty to act reasonably but failed to do so.
Examples of negligence that lead to spinal cord injuries include:
- Distracted driving or other negligence behind the wheel
- Failing to maintain safe premises
- Faulty repair work
- Dog/animal attacks
- Violating safety regulations on a job site
Whatever the circumstances of your accident, if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, you can seek compensation from those responsible.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Virginia, call 757-648-8579
Damages I Could Pursue as a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Virginia
A spinal cord injury can have far-reaching consequences, affecting your physical abilities, emotional well-being, and financial situation. At Atkinson Law, we are committed to helping you recover compensation to ease your burdens.
While every case is unique, here are some damages I could pursue on your behalf:
- Medical expenses: Treating a spinal cord injury is expensive. I will seek compensation for your medical bills, including emergency care, surgeries, hospital stays, medications, rehabilitation, therapy, assistive devices like a wheelchair or adjustable bed, and any necessary ongoing medical care.
- Long-term care expenses: Many spinal cord injury victims require full or part-time care at home or in specialized facilities. I can help you seek compensation for these costs.
- Lost income: If your accident has left you unable to work or has affected your ability to make money, we will work to recover the wages you’ve lost and the income you would have earned in the future.
- Pain and suffering: People with spinal cord damage often endure extreme discomfort and emotional distress. We will fight for compensation for the pain, suffering, and emotional trauma you have experienced due to your accident.
- Home and vehicle modifications: Paralysis due to a spinal cord injury often means using a wheelchair. If you need modifications to your house or car, such as a wheelchair ramp or lift, we will seek compensation to cover these expenses.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: A spinal cord injury can limit your ability to enjoy activities you once loved. We will work to secure compensation for this loss.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, courts award punitive damages to punish the responsible person and deter similar conduct. A prime example of a case that can lead to punitive damages is when a drunk driver causes an accident.
The damages you recover will depend on the circumstances of the accident and how the injury has affected your life. As your Virginia spinal cord injury attorney, I will seek the maximum compensation available in your case. You pay nothing unless I win your case, so there’s zero risk to you.
Virginia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Time Limit for Taking Legal Action in Virginia
After a long hospital stay, you may wonder how much time you have left to sue the at-fault party. The Virginia time limit, or “statute of limitations,” for filing a lawsuit is two years from the accident date, as explained in the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243. Certain exceptions could alter this deadline.
Even though two years seems like a long time, as an experienced Virginia accident lawyer, I recommend contacting me as soon as possible. Getting started now will give me more time to compile evidence, interview witnesses, and build your case.
When you contact my office, I can tell you exactly how long you have to file suit, provide honest legal advice, and answer your questions about the personal injury claims process.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Wrongful Death Compensation
Tragically, many spinal cord injury victims do not survive. If your loved one passes away due to their injuries, I can represent you in a wrongful death case. While nothing could ever make up for losing someone close to you, obtaining financial compensation can help with expenses during a difficult time.
In Virginia, family members who can collect damages through a wrongful death claim include the following:
- Siblings (in cases where there is no surviving spouse, child, or grandchild)
As a Virginia personal injury and wrongful death lawyer, I can tell you whether you can file a claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Reach Out to My Virginia Law Firm for a Free Consultation
Recovering fair compensation after a serious accident is challenging, but you don’t have to manage your case alone. Atkinson Law is dedicated to fighting for your rights and the settlement or verdict you need to rebuild your life.
As your Virginia spinal cord injury lawyer, I can deal with the insurance company, legal paperwork, and jury trial (if your case doesn’t settle). Since I handle cases on contingency, you pay nothing until I win your case. I speak with new clients personally and will remain in communication throughout your case.
Contact my office today for a free consultation.