A bus accident can instantly change your life, causing severe injuries, medical expenses, and emotional distress. I’m lawyer Ed Atkinson, and I have witnessed firsthand the devastating impact these accidents can have on individuals and their families.
That’s why I am committed to providing compassionate legal representation to help you through this difficult time. As a Virginia bus accident lawyer with extensive knowledge of personal injury lawyer in Virginia, I am well-equipped to handle your case. Whether you were a bus passenger, a pedestrian, or in another vehicle, I can help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
Call me today for a free, zero-risk case evaluation.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
If you or a loved one is seeking compensation after a bus accident, determining the cause of the crash is an important step. Understanding the common causes of these collisions allows you to gain insights into the factors contributing to your injuries, take the necessary steps to protect your rights, and seek maximum compensation.
Common causes of bus accidents include:
- Inadequate driver training: Insufficient training or a lack of experience can contribute to bus crashes, as drivers may not possess the necessary skills to handle challenging road conditions or unexpected situations.
- Driver error: Like any motorist, bus drivers can engage in negligent behaviors such as distracted driving, speeding, or reckless maneuvers, leading to accidents.
- Driver fatigue: Long hours behind the wheel can cause bus drivers to become tired, impairing their judgment and reaction times.
- Mechanical failures: Bus accidents can occur due to faulty brakes, tire blowouts, steering malfunctions, or other mechanical issues, often resulting from inadequate maintenance or defective parts.
- Poor weather conditions: Inclement weather, such as heavy rain, snow, or ice, can make roads slippery and increase the risk of collisions if drivers fail to adjust to the conditions.
- Negligent maintenance: Inadequate maintenance practices can lead to equipment failures and contribute to accidents.
- Road hazards: Poorly maintained roads, construction zones, or debris on the roadway can pose hazards to buses, leading to accidents if drivers do not react in time.
- Other drivers’ negligence: Failure to yield, following too closely, or reckless driving are all examples of how other drivers’ negligence can result in bus accidents.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Virginia, call 757-648-8579
Liability in a Virginia Bus Accident Case
After a Virginia bus accident, determining liability is another critical step in seeking compensation for your injuries and losses. Liability refers to the legal responsibility of the parties involved in the crash.
Several parties can potentially be held accountable in a bus accident, including:
- Bus driver: As mentioned above, the driver’s actions or negligence, such as distracted driving, speeding, or driving under the influence, can contribute to the accident. If the driver’s actions depart from the standard of care, they may be liable for damages.
- Bus company or government entity: The company or entity that owns or operates the bus may be liable for the collision if they fail to properly maintain the vehicle, enforce safety protocols, or hire qualified and trained drivers. Vicarious liability can also apply, making the bus company responsible for the actions of its employees.
- Bus manufacturer: If the incident resulted from a defect in the bus itself, such as faulty brakes, steering, or other mechanical issues, the bus manufacturer may be liable. Product liability laws can hold the manufacturer accountable for the defective design or manufacturing of the bus.
- Other negligent parties: In some cases, other parties may share responsibility for the accident. This can include contractors responsible for road maintenance, construction, or even other motorists whose negligence contributed to the crash.
Proving liability in a bus accident case requires a thorough investigation, sufficient evidence, and a strong legal argument. Consulting with an experienced auto accident lawyer like me is crucial to identifying the responsible parties, protecting your rights, and pursuing the compensation you deserve.
I can navigate the complexities of the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if necessary, advocate for you in court to ensure your best interests are represented. In addition, contacting me soon after an accident will ensure you meet all applicable deadlines, including the statute of limitations set forth by Virginia law.
Virginia Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 757-648-8579
Recovering Damages After a Bus Accident
Recovering compensatory damages after a crash can help you cover your treatment costs and restore your financial stability. For example, in a Virginia bus accident case, you may be entitled to damages, including:
- Medical expenses: Bus accidents can result in severe injuries that require immediate medical attention, ongoing treatment, and rehabilitation. You can pursue compensation for medical costs, including hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, prescription medications, physical therapy, and other necessary medical services related to your injuries.
- Lost wages: If your injuries from the bus accident prevent you from returning to work, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost income. This includes the income you have already missed out on and any future earnings you may be unable to earn due to disability or reduced work capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Motor vehicle crashes can cause significant physical pain, emotional distress, and a diminished quality of life. Compensation for pain and suffering is intended to address the physical and emotional hardships endured due to the crash, including chronic pain, anxiety, depression, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property damage: If your personal belongings, such as a vehicle or laptop, were damaged or destroyed in the collision, you can seek compensation to repair or replace them.
- Wrongful death: In the tragic event that a collision results in a fatality, surviving family members may pursue a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, loss of companionship, and other related damages.
Whether your injuries were minor or you suffered a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury, working with an experienced attorney will help you maximize your settlement.
As your personal injury attorney, I can assess the value of your claim, gather the necessary evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and fight for you in court if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Atkinson Law for a Free Case Evaluation
I started Atkinson Law because I knew I could provide best-in-class customer service and highly effective legal representation to every single client. As an experienced trial lawyer, I am dedicated to fighting for the rights of injured victims and helping them pursue fair compensation for their injuries.
After a motor vehicle accident involving a school bus or large commercial vehicle, I am here to provide legal advice and explain your rights. You can meet me at my offices, or I will gladly travel to meet you where you are. Online and telephone meetings are available, too.
During your initial consultation, I will listen to your story, assess the details of your case, and provide you with a clear understanding of your legal options.
Call today or complete the online contact form to schedule your free legal consultation.